Skip to content

Rob Cosman's Dovetail Saw: Regular Size

Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00
Original price $0.00
$375.00
$375.00 - $380.00
Current price $375.00
Availability:
in stock, ready to be shipped
Availability:
in stock, ready to be shipped
Gallery
Full Description
Customer Reviews

After teaching thousands of students to cut dovetails by hand and dealing with the problems they had when using traditional dovetail saws, I decided to design and build a dovetail saw to solve these problems.

My Rob Cosman Dovetail Saw is the best saw for dovetails and is designed for rip sawing that leaves a smooth, ready-to-glue, finished surface.

I designed my dovetail saw with a .020" thin blade, 22 tpi starting teeth and 15 tpi sawing teeth, filed rip, with a minimal 2000th inch (0.002) set per side. The relaxed cutting angle of the small front teeth allows you to start the cut with ease - a major issue with other saws!  The teeth, formed with a diamond-saw, slice cleanly and precisely through wood fibers.  The minimal set creates a small kerf that guides the saw straight in the crosscut while the shallow 1-5/8 inch depth of blade (tooth-line to brass back) helps with stability while sawing to a line. The pistol grip handle conforms to your hand for a perfect, repeatable fit every time.

Product Details:

  • Size. Overall length (Toe to Handle tip): 15 - 1/8 inches.  Blade length (Toe to heal): 10 inches. Depth of plate under the back: 1 - 5/8 inches.

  • Weight: 22-24 ounces. 

  • Blade. Each of our dovetail saw blades is made from .020 Inch thick, spring steel.

  • Tooth Geometry.  Filed rip with a two-stage pitch. The first two inches of each dovetail saw is filed at 22 teeth per inch (TPI) and a 30 degree negative tooth rake, which allows you to easily start a cut. The rest of the blade is filed at 15 tpi and a 5 degree tooth rake allowing you to finish the cut with just a few strokes.

  • Set. Unlike most saw manufacturers who stamp out their saw teeth, leaving "dimples" in the blade, we individually cut out each of our saw teeth with a diamond saw.  This allows us to maintain a very slight set of only .002 inch (per side), since we don't introduce that "dimple" onto the blade.  This slight set produces a narrow .024 inch kerf that eliminates slop allowing the saw blade to accurately track in the saw kerf resulting in dead straight saw cuts with smooth ready-to-glue surfaces.

  • Brass Back: Rob Cosman dovetail saws have a 1/4″ thick x 7/8″ wide brass back secured to the blade with peened and flushed copper pins.  Not only does the brass look wonderful but it imparts extra weight to the saw, as compared to other saws, that provides you a better balanced saw, allows the saw to do the cutting work, and helps you "feel" perpendicular.

  • Handle. Our unique "pistol grip" handles have memory enhancing carved finger recesses for a perfect and comfortable fit. A pair of brass split nuts secures the handle to the blade and the brass back.  Our handles are made from Richlite an incredibly durable, sustainable, and versatile material made from High-grade FSC-certified paper infused with a thermosetting resin.  

  • Handle Size & Determining your Size: Our handles come in two sizes: Regular and Large.  Please refer to the picture above showing how to measure your hand and determine what size handle is correct for you size hand.

Customer Reviews

Based on 228 reviews
95%
(217)
3%
(7)
1%
(2)
0%
(0)
1%
(2)
P
Paul McCuish
Rob Cosman Dovetail Saw

Thank you! This saw is a work of art. I was reluctant to purchase it because of the cost, but I’m glad that I bit the bullet. Reaching out for that amazing black handle put me in mind of Frodo reaching for the ring. It just felt made for my hand. Rob says that the tools are 70% of what makes good dovetails. Now I have what I need to work on the other 30%.

C
Chuck Thurston
Dovetail saw

As with all the tools I've purchased from Rob, the quality is impeccable. The only issue I have is the packaging. My saw arrived in a badly damaged cardboard box. I held my breath and carefully opened the box fully expecting a damaged saw.Fortunately it was fine. At this price more care needs to be done with packaging. Love the saw.Thanks Rob for all you do for our vets.

T
Tony Patterson
Great products.

Top quality saw, as you would expect from all of Rob’s products. Great customer service, who called me to make a correction in the companion kerf knife. I had selected the wrong one.

I
Ian

Love Rob and Teams work so much!!
Of superior quality

R
Robert Melville-Hansen
Wonderful Saw from a wonderful company & maker!

Fits my end really well (I perhaps a slightly smaller than average hand). Very nice weight to it and using Rob’s dovetail method is a great way for me to get started. Thanks again for the great tool and for all the work you do for the PHP.